Back in the day, I remember starting this process. I didn't know where to start, I was buying tools as fast as I could and had far fetched dreams of a beautiful wood shop. I remember emptying my 1-1/2 car garage and feeling that I had all the space in the world.
I was wrong....
I've since discovered that you need every inch of space you can get your hands on and even then, it's never enough.
A home based wood shop is a thing of beauty when you get it right.
It's a lethal and unpleasant mess when you get it wrong.
Over the course of the next few posts, I'm going to walk you through the things you should design/build or at least consider before you start.
1. Why a garden shed will be your first project :-)
Remember - Happy wife - Happy life
2. The importance of a flat and crack free garage floor
3. Some machinery you need to get started.
4. Basic Health & Safety on a budget (Respirator, Hearing protection and more)
5. Furniture you'll want to build to get the most out of those machines
6. Where to position them for practicality and functionality
7. How & why you need to get organised
8. Getting started with dust collection on a budget
9. Wood and supplies storage and organisation
10. Consider your neighbours (Noise pollution)
11. HVAC & Air Purification.
12. Tool sharpening (Sharpening your own tools and outsourcing those you can't)
So check back tomorrow where we take a look at where to store the contents of your garage that simply need to go before you start.
See you soon.